Who We Are
SAO GROUP is a Social Impact, Investment & Advisory group of companies focused on Renewable Energy, Agriculture, Infrastructure Projects and Real Estate. We partner with and serve communities, governments, and companies in Africa, providing an innovative mix of advisory, investment, research, analytics, and design services.
With the understanding that today’s complex global problems require new solutions, as a global group, we work to build a more inclusive and sustainable world where all people, and governments everywhere, can reach their fullest potential.
Comprised of SAO Capital, SAO Agro, SAO Energy, SAO Advisory and SAO Environment; our businesses approach problems differently and work together to create impact at scale.
SAO is a place where a diverse mix of the most talented individuals are able to bring their authentic selves to work – whether it’s how you identify, where you come from, the languages you speak, the person you love, or the way you worship. SAO is a home where people feel safe, understood, nurtured and encouraged to grow.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is an integral part of the business development process and a member of the Executive Management Team. The COO’s responsibility is to provide extensive technical support to the executives and direct supervisory management of the full organization’s portfolio, as well as develop innovative concepts in close collaboration with key stakeholders to enhance business growth.
• Optimize organizational structure and accelerate ongoing realignment and management efforts; expand internal management capability both through direct, hands-on leadership and by empowering other leaders across the organization.
• Connect decision-making and resource allocation to strategy.
• Directly manage all aspects of the organization, with a focus on the technical, and operational components of the business.
• Identify key business opportunities and support the development of innovative long-term business strategies.
• Ensure that cross-portfolio strategy aligns with organizational goals and best practices. Oversee the implementation and refinement processes as governed by the group plan.
• Support the development of implementation strategies and work plans, and coordinate the day-to-day management of technical staff and technical management of the program in the field office.
• Represent the project in local, national, and international meetings and events in the absence of the CEO.
• Live and promote the values of the organization. Build trust by increasing transparency and collaboration across teams to amplify the collective impact the organization can have externally.
• Oversee the sub-contract and sub-grant cycle from pre-award to close-out including solicitation processes, pre-award, award, monitoring and close-out of sub-awards based on donor regulations, policies, and procedures.
• Maintain a strong and wide network with key partners and stakeholders in assigned areas and ensure that the project is represented in appropriate steering and advisory groups.
• Coordinate with other donor implementing partners on common objectives and activities, as needed.
Qualifications & Professional Experience
• Minimum 10 years of project management experience (including years of strategic leadership and/or line management experience).
• Demonstrated experience in multi-sector project management and implementation.
• Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and local capacity-building experience.
• Minimum of 5+ years of Project Director experience on a large, high-value, and complex funded program in one of the following areas: health, food security and agriculture, renewable energy.
Core Skills and Functional Competencies
• Commitment & Integrity
• Subject matter expert and thought leader.
• Good scalability and sound judgement.
• Accountability and proactiveness
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent people management skills
• Strategy development and implementation
• Ability to influence decision-making and negotiate to obtain a desired result.
• Fast Learner and can tolerate ambiguity.
– Remuneration – Competitive
– Health & Safety – Health Maintenance Plan & Gym Membership
– Employee Benefits – Career Development Packages
– Other Benefit – Provision of Accommodation and relocation allowance for expatriates
– Work Type – Hybrid